Store not available

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Showing off a bit

My daughter Maddie is easily a much more basically talented artist than I am. I can only take credit for some of her genes and allowing and encouraging her to explore anything and everything her artistic heart desires. My mother studied commercial art and was a prize winning rosemaller. My dad was also very artistic. My great grandmother was a milliner (something I only recently discovered) She has been part of my rug weaving her whole life and it has been exciting this year to have her take "Intro to Fibers" in college where she is a Theater major with an Art minor. She went above and beyond the call of duty in the class. Her professor was Morgan Clifford, an internationally acclaimed weaver in her own right, and Morgan has already asked her to continue in studio fibers. The following are two felt pieces that she did for her final project in the class and subsequently gave her to her dad and I for Christmas. (She got an A)


This is Maddie's felted rendition of one of my favorite works of art. Marcel Duchamp's "Nude Descending a Staircase" it called Nuno Felting which means the bits of colored wool are needled on to a sheet of silk. Scarves are often made this way.












This is the one she made for Puck. It is Monet's "Water Lilly's"

1 comment: